Child Centered Special Education Law

We fight for children and families across Texas. How can we help?

Talk with a Special Education Lawyer
special education law books

We are special education lawyers.

We solve special education legal issues. We work for parents and students throughout Texas.

ARD committee disputes

Bullying and harassment

Refusual to evaluate or re-evaluate

Behavior or Discipline Issues

Restraint, isolation or abuse

Falling grades or no progress

We are proud to serve parents and students.

"Kevin an Jennifer were great to work with ... very honest an caring. It was a pleasure to get to know them. They worked hard for what was best for my family." - Greater Houston Area Parent

best special education lawyer five star
special education advocate iep
special education lawyer rubber-bands

We can help you navigate the special education system.

"We retained Kevin to help with a case with my son's school district. He was clear, logical, and easy to work with. His experience showed as we would not have had the favorable resolution had we not had Kevin on our team." - Greater Austin Area Parent

best special education lawyer five star

We are focused on your child's needs.

"[They] always maintained a communication to allow me to have a peace of mind of what was to be expected and status update with my child's case ... If you have a special needs child I recommend [their] services to the fullest" - North Texas Area Parent

best special education lawyer five star
school education advocate

Special education practices areas.

Refusal to Provide Services

In addition to your child's right to FAPE, there are procedural protections when your school refuses special education services or placement.

School failure to follow IEP

Your school must implement the services or programing outlined in your child's IEP.

Independent Educational Evaluations

You have a right to an independent educational evaluation, or second opinion, when you disagree with the evaluation obtained by your school.

special education law lesson

Behavior & Discipline

Special education services must be available to all children with disabilities - even those who have been suspended or expelled from school.

Failure to Evaluate

Your school must evaluate every child who may have a disability requiring special education services. You have a right to request that your school evaluate your child.

Inappropriate services or programing

Your school must provide FAPE for your child.

We can help.

"Kevin helped me so much throughout this process. I am very happy with how everything is coming together and will recommend him to ANYONE needing legal help." - Greater Houston Area Parent

best special education lawyer five star
iep lawyer advocate
special education legal services4

Special education legal services.

IEP audit and consultation

Records and Case Review

Special Education Alternative Dispute Resolution

Litigation and Due Process

Manifestation Determination Reviews

Special education advocacy

Our special education lawyers can help.

Your school has not followed your child's IEP or has failed to provide services.

Your school must ensure that your child’s IEP is accessible to every regular education teacher, special education teacher, related services provider, and any other service provider who is responsible for its implementation.

Each teacher must be informed of his or her specific responsibilities related to the IEP and the specific accommodations, modifications, and supports that must be provided per the IEP.

If your school has failed to implement necessary services or programing per your child’s IEP, a special education lawyer at our firm can help. 

Your school has refused or ignored your child's need for special education services.

If there is reason to suspect that your child has a disability, your school district has a duty under the Individuals with Disabilities Act to identify, locate, and evaluate your child.

Your school district has an affirmative obligation, known as Child Find, to evaluate any student that is suspected of having a disability.  Special education law does not require a request by the parent to evaluate.

However, even where a school has evaluated a student, a parent still has the right to disagree with that evaluation and ask for a second opinion.  This second evaluation, or independent educational evaluation, is paid for by the school.

If the school has failed to evaluate your child or has evaluated your child but you believe the evaluation is somehow flawed, a special education lawyer with SLF can help.

Your child is not making progress.

Your child should have an IEP that is reasonably calculated to enable him or her to make progress that is appropriate in light of his or her circumstances. 

If your child fails to make progress within a reasonable period of time, your school district should hold an ARD committee meeting to address the lack of progress.

Your school district may be in violation of special education law if they are failing to address your child’s inadequate progress or ineffective services.

If your child is not making meaningful progress in an area of need, please talk with one of our special education lawyers to see if we can help. 

You are facing school discipline, behavior or suspensions problems.

The law requires that your school district appropriately address the behavior of any child with a disability that impedes his or her learning or the learning of others.

Your child’s ARD committee should consider the use of positive behavioral interventions and supports, and other strategies, to deal with behavior problems.  This requirement applies regardless of your child’s disability.

If you child already has a behavior plan or other IEP behavioral supports but they are not working, the ARD committee should meet to consider new or modified services.  

If your child’s behavior (including student code of conduct violations, classroom disruptions, disciplinary removals, or other exclusionary measures) is getting in the way of school and your child’s ability to receive a free appropriate public education, we can help.  Talk with a special education lawyer today. 

Your child's ARD committee or IEP team is not listening.

Mediation and Due Process Litigation are two ways that the law allows parents to challenge a school district. While mediation is a more amicable process, sometimes due process litigation is necessary to resolve a special education dispute with your school.

You have questions about your child's rights under the law.

While the IDEA can seem confusing, the promise of the law is simple: all children deserve a Free and Appropriate Education.

Yet most parents just want to know what that no-cost, appropriate education actually looks like when it comes to their child.

A special education lawyer with our firm can review and walk you through your child’s educational records. After our review, we can help you develop a strategy to ensure that your child is receiving appropriate programing and services.