Transfer Students and Special Education Services

Moving to a new school can be a challenge. On top of worrying about your child’s new friends, a new schedule and a new community, you need to make sure your child’s IEP is transferred, in place and understood.

What happens if we transfer from an out of state school? 

If your child transfers from an out of state school district in the same school year where he or she had an IEP in effect the new school district must, in consultation with you, provide your child with FAPE, including services comparable to those described in your child’s out of state IEP, until your new school district— (1) Conducts an evaluation, if determined necessary by the district; and (2) Develops, adopts, and implements a new IEP, if appropriate.

If your new school district believes that an evaluation is necessary, that new evaluation is considered a full individual and initial evaluation.

Google Rating